Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Father's Day- with Michael Stipe

OK, so Friday was REM in Mansfield (Boston), MA; Saturday was REM at Jones Beach, NY. Sunday is Father's Day and my eldest daughter's Confirmation Day at church. Are we exhausted, yes... do we care, NO! We had already had a great weekend, and the plan was set for us to have Amanda's Confirmation ceremony at church at 11, where she was the speaker, then celebrate with family and friends at home. A little while later, Amanda and I would hop on the LIRR and head in to NYC to see Michael Stipe and David Belisle at a book signing for Belisle's photography book, Hello near Greenwich Village. Yes, I do realize how insane that makes me seem... because I am.


The ceremony at church was beautiful. Amanda was graceful and confident as the speaker for the Confirmands. Our entire family was there to celebrate. After sleeping less than 5 hours due to the Jones Beach delay, I was stumbling a little, but enjoying the day. I had read about the book signing about a month ago, and figured I would go alone, and Mike would stay home with the kids. But then I decided to see if Amanda was interested, and for her, Greenwich Village is the epitome of cool, so she was in. My husband was gracious enough to let us escape the house on Father's Day when we should have been catering to him. He understands that this was a rare opportunity, and I wanted in.


In an effort not to offend our guests I didn't check the train schedule until they had just about all left the party. Of course I then realized the train was departing in 5 minutes and we literally had to RUN to catch it. Thankfully I live 1 block away from the train station- and it is a blessing!


After the 10 minutes or so it took for me to catch my breath, Amanda and I started talking about our weekend. She was really talkative about the Jones Beach show, and extremely grateful that we brought her. Then she told me that during church, before and after her speech all she could think about was that she was going to get to meet Michael Stipe later in the day. At that moment I realized I had passed my REM obsession-fanaticism onto my daughter. I guess there are worse things!


I don't claim to be an expert on the NYC subway system, and it took me a while to get my bearings straight, but once I did we were on our way. We arrived to the area of the McNally Robinson bookstore, and it was beautiful. The several blocks we walked were gorgeous, the weather was unbelievable. We found the bookstore and the inevitable line for the signing. After waiting about 20 minutes on the line an employee came out to tell us how things would go. She was really nice, and was wearing a red t-shirt that said "This is the part where I save the day". How cool. I'm sure she really is one of those people, always picking up the pieces. We were told pictures were OK, but Michael wouldn't be posing, and they would allow us to have one item other than the book signed as well. I was both thrilled and disappointed. I have a pretty substantial collection of REM memorabilia, much of it signed, but some great pieces without signatures. But because I had to literally run out of the house, I didn't bring anything with me.


Once the line started to move, I began to get nervous. I had met Michael Stipe once before, backstage after a show at Jones Beach in 1999. And before my husband introduced me to him (my husband is brave enough to talk to anyone, I however prefer to shrink in the corner), I told him I thought I was going to vomit. My nerves had the best of me once again.



The employees also came around with post it notes for us to place in the book if we wanted our book personalized by name, or with a witty comment. Here's where my sense of humor is questionable. My kids, forever, have thought that in the song Drive, Michael Stipe is singing to me. When he says "Ollie, Ollie, Ollie ..." (you get the point), they have all thought he was saying Ali. It's a cute joke in our house, but probably only there. My brilliant idea was to have Michael Stipe inscribe the book to "Ali, ali, ali , ali, ali"... and I actually wrote that on my post it note. I figured he would think I was crazy unless I explained, which gave me something to say to him.



As the line snaked around the corner nearing the bookstore, we could catch a glimpse of Michael and David through the windows. Michael looked dapper as usual in a white suit, and the whole scene was somewhat surreal. Everyone was very patient and kind, although the guys behind us online were a bit obnoxious, but it didn't matter. Amanda and I got our cameras ready (yes, plural) and headed into the book store. As we approached the table, Amanda told Michael that she had been to her first REM show the night before and she loved it. He hesitated, looked up at her and said "Did ya get soaked?" Of course she said yes and laughed to which he said, "Me too!"



He signed her book and then was gracious enough to sign her shirt- Amanda wore her Dad's t-shirt from Wuxtry Records in Athens, GA. We took a road trip last year and finally made it there. I guess that's another REM story! One employee gave Michael my book with the ridiculous post it note, and as Michael looked at it I cringed. This was not the impression I intended to make, but there was no turning back. I proceeded to tell him my little antecdote about the song Drive, and the lyric my kids love to interpret. He laughed a little and then said "You know what I'm really saying there right?" I stumbled out "Ollie Ollie oxenfree?" and he replied, "Well, it's about Oliver North- I hate to break it to you." He confirmed the spelling, and wrote it only once, which is perfectly fine with me.

Now I know I can be a little flighty, but at no point did I ever believe he was actually singing to me... I just want to make that clear. I felt a little foolish, and said something about the kids again- and I remembered Amanda was still there! I said, "Actually, this is my daughter" and Michael looked to her and said, "Well in that case it is all about her!" I was both mortified and thrilled... and I noticed that Amanda had continued to take pictures while I was up there. One of them is the ridiciulous photo I posted on this blog- I swear, I do not normally looked that crazed, and I was very calm in the store. My husband took one look at that picture and said I looked like that nutty 'run away bride' from Atlanta a couple of years ago. Thanks, honey!

Before we left I told David Belisle that I thought his photos were beautiful- and I mean that. The book is a must have for any REM fan. The photos are in some cases bizarre, in many cases stunning and revealing about real life on the road. He obviously has a great eye for photography, and I look forward to seeing more of them on the REM website. David must have really thought I was crazy- but no matter. He was as gracious as Michael, and actually told me he loved my camera! Good to know it's respected by a real photographer!

Amanda and I headed back to the subway and to Penn Station for the nearly 2 hour train ride back home, all smiles and very pleased with our weekend. Our Stipe encounter was worth the time and energy for sure. Amanda was very impressed by how nice evryone was, Michael in particular, and is very much looking forward to another REM encounter.

As for me, I am preparing a bag for the kids for the night. My husband and I are headed back in to NYC tonight for the last local REM show of the tour at Madison Square Garden and they will be with my parents again (THANKS MOM AND DAD!). I am thrilled because it sold out, and I know the energy will be electric. I am also sad because I know it will probably be quite a while before I get to see these guys live again.

I know most people my age wouldn't be rearranging schedules and cramming all of these shows in to one week. For most people, one show is enough. I am just not that person. Each REM show is different, and I hate to miss out on any of them. Like I said before, REM is my thing. And this is my time... so I plan to enjoy every last miute of it. I'll update tomorrow with more...

No comments: